There are three ways we receive energy.
The first is inherited from our parents. This energy is stored in our kidneys and adrenals and is our storehouse. When we are run down, this is the final energy supply used to help us revive ourselves.
Another source of energy comes from the air we breathe. This comes in thru the lungs and is dispersed throughout our body to moisten all our organs, bones, muscles, skin, etc.
The final source of energy comes from the food we eat allowing our organs the proper nourishment to function properly. This is why our food choices are very important. Unfortunately there is no written handbook for humans, but there are guidelines that allow us to function to our maximum potential.
1. Don’t put oil in the gas tank. Eating candy bars and drinking sodas, alcoholic beverages, coffee and other sources of caffeine, consuming milk products (milk, cheese, ice cream) are not even really food and don’t belong in our bodies. What should be put in our gas tank is 60% vegetables, with the other 40% consisting of fruit, whole grains, meats and legumes. It is hard to live in our society and not eat processed foods, but if we can avoid them, that would be best. How we know something is processed is by asking ourselves a question, “Have I ever seen a field of _________?” I have never seen a pizza field.
2. Have the right amount of coolant in our radiators. Our bodies are approximately 98.6 F. If we eat food straight from the fridge or put ice in our drinks, we are freezing our bodies. Too much coolant! Eating spicy foods, chili peppers with every meal, we are overheating our systems. There is a balance that needs to be made. The best way to create this balance is by eating foods slightly cooked, al dente, or if we dont cook them, eat foods at room temperature. This way our bodies don’t have to work so hard to break down the food so that nutrients can be absorbed.
I imagine some of us are wondering about a raw food diet. Raw food diets include cooking our food up to 115 F. Technically, I am not opposed to a raw food diet as long as we consume mostly cooked foods. If we are not cooking any of our food, then we are freezing our bodies! When our bodies are cold, they act more like ice. We are warm blooded beings and ice does not allow for us to move. When we have stiff bodies, we are most likely eating too many cold foods. Some people who are hot may be eating too many cold foods and the friction of trying to absorb foods is creating heat.
Another way to keep our temperatures stable is by drinking water. Our bodies are approximately 50 to 70 percent water. The healthier the body, the higher the percentage of water. To maintain the fluidity in our bodies, we must keep drinking water. The rule of thumb is for each of us to drink half our body weight in ounces daily. In other words, a person who weighs140 pounds, drinks 70 ounces of water… that is almost 9 cups of water a day or 2 liters of water a day!
3. Don’t text and drive. There is a time and a place for everything. Our choices are vast. It is hard to go out with friends and stay on a good diet. There are times when eating off the diet may feel necessary. Some people can get away with this, but many of us cant. Eating properly for our bodies may bring awareness to our friends to be healthier and happier. As we make better choices, our bodies, minds and spirits feel more at ease.
Let’s put as much effort in taking care of ourselves as we do our cars. When we eat properly then our bodies function properly. Call me if you would like individualized nutrition advice.